Winter lentil soup
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 115g lean back bacon, cut in small pieces
- 1 large carrot, scrubbed, sliced
- 2 parsnips, peeled, sliced
- 2 leeks, trimmed, sliced
- 1 cup red lentils
- 3 tablespoons no-added-salt tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Moroccan seasoning
- 7 cups hot salt-reduced vegetable stock made with 7 cups water and 4 teaspoons salt-reduced vegetable stock powder
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Total fat 9g
Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 8g
1 Heat half the oil in a large non-stick pan and cook bacon until lightly browned. Remove and set aside.
2 Add vegetables with the remaining oil and lentils. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and Moroccan seasoning.
3 Add hot stock. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until lentils and vegetables are tender.
4 Use a blender to purée half the soup. Return to pan with un-puréed soup. Add bacon. Heat through. Sprinkle with parsley.
Serve with fresh bread
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free varieties of bacon, tomato paste, Moroccan seasoning and stock.
By puréeing half the soup, you have a creamy soup with lots of chunky vegetables.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..