Vege pies with polenta
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, trimmed, chopped
- 1 red capsicum, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- pinch dried chilli flakes
- 1/4 cup no-added-salt tomato paste
- 400g can no-added-salt diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 75g fresh baby spinach
- 400g can borlotti beans, drained, rinsed
- 2 cups trim milk
- 3/4 cup polenta
- 1 lemon, 1 teaspoon finely grated zest
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
Total fat 5g
Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 9g
1 Heat oil in a large saucepan over a medium-high heat. Cook onion, carrots, celery and capsicum for 5-7 minutes until vegetables start to soften. Add oregano, garlic and chilli flakes. Cook, stirring, for about 1 minute until fragrant.
2 Add tomato paste, tomatoes and 1/2 cup cold water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes until vegetables are cooked through and sauce thickens. Add basil, spinach and beans. Cook, stirring, for about 1 minute until heated through.
3 Meanwhile, combine milk and 1 cup cold water in a medium-sized saucepan. Bring to the boil over a medium-high heat. Slowly pour in polenta, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in lemon zest. Stand for 2 minutes until thickened slightly.
4 Preheat grill to high. Spoon bean mixture into 4 x 2-cup-capacity ovenproof dishes (or an 8-cup-capacity ovenproof dish). Top with polenta. Sprinkle with parmesan. Grill for 5 minutes until cheese melts and starts to brown.
- Servings : 4
- Ready in : 45 Minutes
- Ingredient : Baby spinach, Basil, Borlotti beans, Capsicum, peppers, Carrots, Celery, Chillies - fresh, Garlic - fresh, Herbs - dried, lightly dried, Lemons, Milk, milk powder, Oil, oil spray, Onions - brown, white, Parmesan cheese, Polenta, Tomato paste, Tomatoes - canned
- Try these pies with mashed kumara instead of polenta.
- Replace borlotti beans with canned lentils or kidney beans.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..