Tuscan-style chicken baked with tomatoes and olives
Time to make: 50 mins
( Hands-on time: 20 mins )
Total cost: $ 18.00 / $ 4.50 per serve
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 4 teaspoons olive or other oil
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts (about 500g total)
- 1 medium onion, peeled, quartered, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled,chopped
- 1 medium red capsicum, deseeded, quartered, sliced
- 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes in juice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons basil pesto or 2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
Total fat 14g
Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 3g
1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Add chicken breasts and cook for 2-3 minutes each side or until lightly browned. Remove chicken from pan and arrange pieces ‘good’ side up in a single layer over the bottom of a large (non-stick, oil-sprayed) casserole dish.
2 Return pan to heat then stir in onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion has softened. Add capsicum. Cook, stirring frequently, for 2-3 more minutes then add the next four ingredients and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally.
3 Pour the sauce over chicken and sprinkle with parmesan. Transfer to oven and bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes. Serve over pasta with a side salad or vegetables and perhaps some crusty bread. Garnish with extra fresh basil if preferred.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free pesto.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..