Roasted cauliflower, chicken and rocket risotto
Time to make: 35 mins
( Hands-on time: 5 mins )
Total cost: $ 14.20 / $ 7.10 per serve
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
2 1/2 cups cauliflower florets
250g chicken thighs
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup liquid salt-reduced chicken stock
1 cup water
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup arborio rice
1/4 cup white wine
1 courgette, diced
2 cups rocket
2 tablespoons grated fresh parmesan cheese
freshly ground black pepper
Total fat 19g
Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 5g
1 Preheat oven to 200°C. Place cauliflower in a dish or tray and spray with oil. Open out chicken thighs and cut in half or thirds to make even-sized pieces. Place in a small ovenproof dish and spray with oil. Roast cauliflower and chicken for 20-25 minutes until cauliflower is tender and slightly browned on the edges and chicken is cooked through. Set aside and keep warm.
2 Meanwhile, make risotto. Heat a pan with olive oil over a medium heat. In a separate saucepan heat stock and water until nearly boiling. Keep hot. Add onion and garlic to pan. Gently cook until onion softens. Add rice and stir to coat grains. Cook for 2 minutes. Add wine. Allow wine to evaporate then add stock, 1/2 cup at a time, cooking and stirring until liquid is absorbed. After 10 minutes, add courgette. Stir through.
3 When all stock is absorbed and rice is al dente, remove from heat and stir through rocket. Add cauliflower and sliced chicken thighs. Garnish with parmesan and pepper.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free stock.
- Swap ingredients: Use pumpkin instead of cauliflower, and feta instead of parmesan.
- Make it vegetarian: Omit chicken and stir through 1/2 x 400g can chickpeas instead.
- Spice it up with smoked paprika and cumin. Add these when frying onion and garlic.
- Add other greens to the risotto to add interest. Try 1 cup of frozen peas added at the end of cooking.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..