Raspberry-swirl bread with vanilla bean icing
Time to make: 35 mins , plus 90 mins proving
( Hands-on time: 10 mins )
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 1 cup warm water (35ºC - just a little warmer than your touch)
- 21g fresh yeast or 2 teaspoons active-dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup almond flour/meal
- 1 cup gluten-free cornflourcornstarchX
- 1 cup (135g) brown rice flour
- 1 cup tapioca starch/flour
- 1 tablespoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (70g) icingfrostingX sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature, beaten
- 1/2 cup (70g) good quality raspberry jamjellyX
- 1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries (if frozen, thaw then drain)
- 1/2 cup icingfrostingX sugar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat spread, softened
- 2 tablespoons rice, soy or almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
Total fat 5g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 2g
1 Place warm water in a small bowl. Crumble fresh yeast (pour in if using dry) into water then sprinkle sugar over and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
2 In a large bowl place the remaining dry ingredients and mix well. Add eggs and yeast mixture to dry ingredients. Mix well with a wooden spoon. Shape into a large ball and cover with a towel or plastic wrap. Place in a warm (25ºC plus), draft-free spot for 1 hour or until nearly doubled in size.
3 In the meantime, lightly grease a 22cm round or square baking dish. Once dough has risen, gently make a hollow in the middle of the dough. Add jam and berries to hollow. Fold the 2 sides of hollow over to seal in the filling and knead lightly to spread filling in the dough. Handle as little as possible.
4 Place in prepared baking dish. Cover again and leave to rise in a warm spot for 30 minutes (while oven preheats). Preheat oven to 190ºC. Once oven is hot, bake bread for 20-25 minutes until firm to the touch. Remove from oven and rest for at least 10 minutes before removing from dish.
5 To make icing, mix icing sugar with spread until well combined. Add rice milk and vanilla. Mix until mixture is smooth. Drizzle over cool loaf.