Pear and double ginger cake
Time to make: 3 hrs 15 mins
( Hands-on time: 15 mins )
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
150g reduced-fat spread
1/2 cup soft brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup ground almonds
1 cup self-raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups unpeeled, cored and chopped pears (about 3 pears)
1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk or trim milk
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 tablespoons crystalised ginger, chopped
1 teaspoon icingfrostingX sugar for sifting
10 tablespoons reduced-fat Greek yoghurt, sprinkled with ground ginger (optional)
Total fat 13g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 2g
1 In a large bowl, combine spread and sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Slowly add eggs and almonds.
2 Carefully stir in remaining ingredients and beat well until combined.
3 Line slow cooker with non-stick baking paper. Pour cake mix into slow cooker and put the lid on (see tips). Bake for 3 hours on high or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
4 Switch slow cooker off and leave to cool for 15 minutes. Remove baking paper and cake and place on to a wire rack to cool.
5 Dust with icing sugar and serve warm with a dollop of ginger yoghurt.
- You can also use 6 canned pears, roughly chopped.
- This cake can also be baked in the oven. It will take 35-45 minutes at 180°C in a 20-22cm cake tin.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free self-raising flour and baking powder and check almond milk, icing sugar and ground ginger (if using) are gluten free.
- This cake needs to be made in a medium-sized slow cooker with a base of 20-22cm to ensure a good-sized round cake for cutting.
- Place a tea towel under the lid when baking — this stops the steam and water from dripping on to the top of the cake and making it soggy.
Read more about this chef..