Mexican black beans with spicy avocado and grilled tortilla
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
500g rump steak, fat trimmed, chopped in chunks
Dot’s Cooking Oil Spray
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 large carrot, peeled, diced
1 small courgette, trimmed, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Mexican seasoning, plus extra 1/4 teaspoon
2 tablespoons Delmaine Tomato Paste
2 x 400g cans Delmaine Black Beans, drained, rinsed
400g can Delmaine Cherry Tomatoes
1 cup water
1/2 firm ripe NZ Avocado, diced
2 tablespoons chopped Palmers Fresh Coriander
squeeze lemon juice (optional)
4 wholemeal tortillas, plain, grilled
Total fat 18g
Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 17g
- Mince the beef. Spray a large saucepan with oil and set over a high heat. Brown mince and set aside.
- Spray saucepan again with oil and set over a medium heat. Add onion, carrot and courgette. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-6 minutes, or until soft. Add garlic and Mexican seasoning. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Add cooked mince, black beans, tomatoes and water to saucepan. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until mixture is thick.
- Meanwhile, in a medium-sized bowl combine extra Mexican seasoning, avocado and coriander. Add lemon juice (if desired).
- Place 1 grilled tortilla on each serving plate. Top with bean mixture and spicy avocado. Serve immediately.
This recipe is proudly sponsored by Mastercraft, Countdown, Dot’s, Delmaine, Kenwood, NZ Avocado and Palmers.
Read more about this chef..