Green curried beef
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons Thai green curry paste
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, cut in 1cm cubes
- 3–4 kaffir lime leaves, cut in strips about 1cm wide (optional)
- 350g lean beef steak, cut in 5mm slices
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat coconut milk
- 3 courgetteszucchini, summer squashX, slices
- 1/2 cup peas or green beans, fresh or frozen
- 150–200g can bamboo shoots, drained (optional)
- 1/4–1/2 cup water (if required)
- 4 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt, to taste
- handful fresh basil (optional)
Total fat 14g
Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 5g
1 Since this curry cooks quickly, place rice on to cook.
2 Meanwhile, heat oil in a frying pan or wok. Stir in curry paste and cook for about 1 minute then add onion, potatoes and kaffir lime leaves (if using). Stir-fry for 1-2 more minutes.
3 Add beef and stir-fry for 1 minute then pour in coconut milk and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4 Add vegetables and bamboo shoots (if using) and thin sauce with water (if required). Simmer vegetables for about 10 minutes until just tender then add fish sauce and sugar. Season to taste with salt (if required) then stir in basil (if using). Serve over rice garnished with extra basil.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free varieties of curry paste and fish sauce.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..