Time to make: 1 hr
Total cost: $ 17.19 / $ 4.30 per serve
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and sliced (optional)
- 600g skinless chicken breast or thigh, cubed
- 1 tablespoon oil (you may need to use 2 more teaspoons oil)
- 2 tablespoons Korma (or mild) curry paste (I used Patak's)
- 400g can tomatoes, chopped
- 250ml chicken stock (I use a reduced-salt variety)
- 115g frozen peas
- 200g basmati rice
- turmeric for sprinkling
- fresh coriander sprigs
Total fat 10.8g
Saturated fat 2.1g
Dietary fibre 4.5g
1 Prepare all the vegetables before you begin cooking.
2 Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan and cook the onion and garlic until softened but not browned. Add the cubed chicken and cook until it has lost its pinky colour. Stir in the curry paste, tomatoes and stock. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and cover with a lid. Cook for 30 minutes.
3 Add the potato and carrot and cook for a further 20 minutes, adding a little more stock if necessary (the chicken should be tender at the end of this cooking time).
4 Meanwhile, cook the rice with a sprinkling of turmeric until tender. Drain and place in a serving dish. Spoon the curry onto the rice and stir through. Serve with a sprig of coriander.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..