Chicken and pork loaf
Time to make: 1 hr 15 mins
( Hands-on time: 15 mins )
Total cost: $ 21.30 / $ 3.55 per serve
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus 2 teaspoons
- 2 onions, 1 finely diced and 1 finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled, grated
- 450g lean chicken minceground beefX
- 450g lean pork minceground beefX
- 200g fresh breadcrumbs
- 70g shelled pistachio nuts
- salt and pepper, to season
- 3 eggs, whisked
- oil spray
- 3 cups potato and kumara mash
- 6 cups green salad with 99% fat-free dressing
Total fat 23g
Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 6g
1 Heat a frying pan and add 1 tablespoon oil. Add diced onion and gently cook for a couple of minutes. Add garlic and stir to cook for 1 more minute. Add parsnips, stir, then cover and cook on low for a few minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
2 In a large bowl place minceground beefX, breadcrumbs, nuts and parsnips. Season and combine well. Add egg slowly, reserving 1 tablespoon (to brush top of loaf). Use a fork to combine minceground beefX and ingredients until well mixed.
3 Spray a 12cm x 22cm loaf tin with oil. Spoon meatloaf mixture into tin. Press well into each cornsweetcornXer and press down until well packed. Combine sliced onion with second oil measure and mix well. Brush loaf top with reserved egg then scatter over onion and pack down.
4 Place in a preheated oven at 190°C for 60 minutes. The meat loaf may crack slightly when cooked. If unsure then remove from oven and plunge a small sharp knife into the middle: if juices run clear it is cooked, if not then return for 5 more minutes. Serve hot from oven with mash and salad.
- Add roughly chopped fresh oregano sage or thyme.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free breadcrumbs and check dressing is gluten free.
This recipe freezes well.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..