Buckwheat, date, coconut and pecan granola
Time to make: 45 mins
( Hands-on time: 10 mins )
Total cost: $ 7.92 / $ 0.66 per serve
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
1 1/2 cups wholegrain rolled oats
1 cup buckwheat groats
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/3 cup pitted dates, chopped
1/3 cup pecan nuts, chopped
Total fat 7g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 5g
- Preheat oven to 130ºC. Line a baking tray with baking paper. In a large bowl, combine oats, buckwheat, cinnamon, honey and vanilla bean paste. Stir ingredients well to ensure even coating.
- Spread oat mixture on prepared tray. Bake for 20 minutes, stirring after 10 minutes. Add coconut, dates and pecans to tray. Bake a further 10-15 minutes, or until the mixture is golden and crisp. Cool granola completely on tray.
Granola keeps in an airtight container for about a month.
Serve granola with fresh fruit, some plain low-fat yoghurt and a splash of milk.
What we did
- Changed to wholegrain oats to increase the fibre.
- Halved the saturated fat by leaving out the coconut oil and not using too much coconut.
- How much honey or agave, maple and rice syrups are used, as they are still sugars.
- Your serving size – 50g is about a third of a cup.
- Adding yoghurt, milk or a milk alternative increases energy, protein and fat. If using a milk alternative, choose one that’s calcium fortified and high in protein.
|970kJ||860kJ||11% fewer kJ|
|12g fat||7g fat||42% less fat|
|6g saturated fat||3g saturated fat||50% less saturated fat|
|4g fibre||5g fibre||25% more fibre|
Read more about this chef..