Beans and rice
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 400g can kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 heaped teaspoon salt-reduced stock powder, dissolved in 1 cup water
- extra water
- 4 tablespoons freshly grated reduced-fat cheese
Total fat 13g
Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 7g
1 Heat oil in a large saucepan and gently cook garlic and cumin for a couple of minutes. Add rice to pan, mixing to coat well with garlic and cook for a further minute.
2 Stir in tomatoes, kidney beans and stock. Cover and cook on a low heat until rice is cooked and a little creamy. Check the pan regularly during this time and stir in half a cup of water each time – this keeps the rice from drying out and sticking to the pan (you may need to do this 4 or 5 times).
3 Once rice is cooked through, serve with a light sprinkling of grated cheese. Enjoy with salad or vegetables.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free stock powder.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..