Year-round, depending on variety. New Zealand navel oranges are in season now.
Choose firm oranges with unblemished skins.
Oranges can be stored in or out of the fridge in cooler weather.
Wash and dry well, and use as required.
- Orange syrup is delicious over plain cakes or muffins. Cook orange juice with sugar until it's reduced to a syrup, then pour over cake while still warm.
- Make orange and poppy seed muffins by adding orange juice and flesh to your favourite muffin recipe.
- Make a winter fruit salad with orange slices, dried figs soaked in orange juice, persimmon slices and a dash of cinnamon. Serve with low-fat vanilla yoghurt.
- Add slices of orange to a salad with rocket leaves, toasted walnuts, feta cheese and a vinaigrette made with orange juice.
- For another delicious muffin variation, replace the milk used in a basic muffin recipe with orange juice. Add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda to counter any acidity.